MEDFORD, Ore. -- The Garcia family is raising awareness of the dangers of fentanyl after their 19-year-old son, Alex, passed away from an overdose on August 26.
Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Garcia's death, including how and where he acquired the fentanyl. Now, his family is hoping to encourage others to have open and honest conversations with their children about the dangers of drugs, including fentanyl.
"We have to do much more communication with our kids, our community... and take an active stand to kick this out of our community and prevent this," said Tami Garcia, Alex's mother.
His family says Alex wasn't dealing with addiction but they wish there would have been more resources available for him to get help.
"We reached out and what we were told is that nothing can happen until he is arrested or is charged with a crime, then resources become available," Garcia said.
Alex's family described him as a leader and an old soul, who ended every conversation and phone call by saying 'I love you.' Alex played football at South Medford High School and was a big fan of the Los Angeles Chargers.
"He knows the ins and outs of football," said Tomes Garcia, Alex's father. "He knows who's going to be starting, who's going to be backups... He actually helps Grandpa with his draft. That was his passion."
Along with his mother, father and grandfather, Alex leaves behind three younger siblings.