MEDFORD -- Wednesday afternoon, South Medford cross country runners Luke Ramirez and Jazmin Duncan both committed to run at Division-I Portland State upon graduation. The pair of standout runners have paced the Panthers for years and will soon sport the green and white of the Portland State Vikings.
In eight 5K meets during the 2017 season, including the 6A state title meet, Ramirez finished in the top 10 four times, winning the 6A-6 Southwest Conference Preview 5K. He finished eighth at the fourth annual Max King Invite in Central Point, finishing with a personal record time of 16:10.2.
"I'm looking forward to the competition," Ramirez said, "It's on a whole different level. Coach told me that it's not going to be easy at first and that I'll get beat pretty bad, but I was used to that in high school in the beginning. I know that if I just keep working at it, that I'm going to get better."
Duncan ran in seven 5K meets during the 2017 season and finished in the top 10 four times. Like Ramirez, she won the 6A-6 Southwest Conference Preview 5K. She also broke 20 minutes at the George Fox XC Classic. She finished 10th at the 6A state title meet earlier in the month.
"I'm looking forward to the competition and being able to work with girls who are better than me, so I can better myself as well, which will be super exciting," Duncan said, "I'm also looking forward to living in Portland, because I love the diversity and the difference they have there."
- South Medford XC's Ramirez, Duncan Commit to Portland State
- South Medford Star Receiver Chase Cota Commits to UCLA
- South Medford RB Jaylin Parnell Commits to Western Oregon
- South Medford WR Jaalen Owens Commits to Western Oregon
- South Medford DB Josiah Johnson Commits to Western Oregon
- South Medford QB Robbie Patterson Commits to Saddleback College
- Crater's Monroe Wins Gatorade State XC Runner of the Year
- South Medford, Crater Girls Punch Tickets to State Tournament
- South Medford Hosts Australia, Wins by 33
- Oregon State Gets Scare, Survives Against Portland State