MEDFORD -- The wait is almost over. Star South Medford wide receiver Chase Cota will sign with a division-one school by December 20, which is the early signing period for division-one football. He stopped by the Newswatch 12 studio on Thursday to talk about his recruitment.
Cota is between three schools: Oregon (where his dad, Chad, played before going to the NFL), UCLA, and Notre Dame.
Cota said he is "pretty sure" where he will be signing by December 20, but still has to talk over the decision with family. Given the family and in-state tie, many expect him to land at Oregon. He talked about the uncertainty on the coaching staff in Eugene.
"If they get one of those guys [interim head coach Mario Cristobal or defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt] I know the recruiting class would love it, because those are the guys they've built relationships with," Cota said, "I don't know what's going to happen, but I know Cristobal is a great guy and hopefully leads them well in the bowl game."
Cota has also had visits from Notre Dame and UCLA over the past couple weeks.
"He [Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly] just laid out what it's like to be a Notre Dame man and everything about it and how special the campus is," Cota said, "The pitch was appealing. I think it's like a parent's wonderland to send your kid to Notre Dame, so I definitely liked what they had to say. It was a good visit."
Former Oregon head coach and current UCLA head coach Chip Kelly wasted no time reaching out to Cota after being named the Bruins' new head man. Cota said Kelly reached out to him immediately after being hired and visited him at Cota's home on Monday night.
"I got a good feel for him and I can really see Chip's vision. I wouldn't put my money against him doing really well after what he did at Oregon," Cota said, "He had a crazy five years. It's a great place to go to."
Cota said he could sign as early as next week, but knows he will sign on or before December 20 so he can participate in spring ball with whatever program he signs with.
- South Medford Star Chase Cota "Pretty Sure" Where he Will Play College Football
- South Medford Star Receiver Chase Cota Commits to UCLA
- Battle Between Star Cousins, Cota & Breeze, May Determine South Medford, Lake Oswego's Fate
- Chase Cota Earns Start for West in Army All-American Bowl
- Former Duck Chad Cota Discusses Oregon, Son Chase's Freshman Season at UCLA
- South Medford QB Robbie Patterson Commits to Saddleback College
- 2018 High School Football Preview: South Medford Panthers
- Ahead of Championship Prep, Notre Dame and Oregon Visit Cota
- South Medford Hosts Australia, Wins by 33
- Former South Medford Softball Star, Pat Moore, to Join Washington Huskies