ASHLAND, Ore. --- Southern Oregon Football Head Coach Charlie Hall has announced two new hires for the SOU coaching staff.
Jerome Souers will replace James Gravelle as the defensive coordinator. Tim Davis will replace Kyle Otineru as the offensive line coach. Hall said that he and former coaches James Gravelle and Kyle Otineru, mutually agreed to part ways.
Souers was the head coach for Northern Arizona for more than 20 years. Souers finished his time with Northern Arizona with a 123-114 record. He led Northern Arizona to the Big Sky championship. It was the first time for the Lumberjacks in 25 years.
Gravelle was the defensive coordinator for four years at SOU.
There is some familiarity between Hall and Souers. Charlie Hall was Souers's offensive coordinator from 2001-05.
Davis was also a coach at Northern Arizona from 2015-18. Davis has coached at several FBS programs. One of the most impressive pieces of the Davis resume is that he coached in 16 bowl games, and coached two offensive lines that protected two Heisman Trophy winners.
Souers and Davis will officially begin their SOU tenure, on Friday.
This move comes after SOU had a shaky 4-7 season. One of the most frequent issues the Raiders ran into, was getting the offense and defense to play well at the same time.
SOU will look to improve that consistency with new leaders on each side of the ball.
This is a developing story. This article will continue to be updated as more information comes in.
- SOU Football adds new Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach
- SOU Football 2018 Preview: Offense
- Offense tops defense in SOU football Spring Game
- SOU Football 2018 Preview: Defense
- Ducks offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo to become UNLV head coach
- Coaches, Players Reflect on SOU Football's Spring Practices
- Mark Helfrich Set to Become Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator
- SOU's Charlie Hall Named Coach of the Year, QB Tanner Trosin Offensive Player of the Year
- Oregon State to Hire Wisconsin's Tim Tibesar as Defensive Coordinator
- SOU Softball Head Coach Jessica Pistole resigns