EUGENE—Oregon football learned its bowl game fate on Sunday, as the Ducks were selected to the Redbox Bowl at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, and will face Michigan State on December 31 for a noon kickoff.
"Certainly excited,” head coach Mario Cristobal said. “(There’s a) lot of buzz around here about the honor of being selected to the Redbox Bowl. Great game, great location, great opponent. Obviously an opponent with a storied history. I know lots about them and obviously have the experience of playing against them. But to be able to go to the state of California where so many of our players are from, so many of our players' families reside, and so much recruiting that is done in the state of California, it's just a tremendous opportunity for us."
Cristobal also announced that quarterback Justin Herbert will play in the bowl game.
Herbert injured his shoulder in the second quarter of Oregon’s blowout win in the Civil War, but will be fully recovered for what could be his final game in a Ducks uniform.
"Justin is healthy and Justin will play in the game,” Cristobal said. “In terms of after the game and decisions after it's something we'll certainly discuss at a later time but you can expect him to play in the game.
“The injury in the game, we held him out because he could not continue and there was the possibility of it being more severe than what it was. He took a good shot on the play that he was sacked when he went to the ground and it's essentially a really deep bruise. He's ok and he's good to go and he's looking forward to playing in the game," he said.
Oregon and Michigan State have played six times in their history, splitting the all-time series three games apiece.
The most recent meeting came in 2015 and saw Michigan State win in East Lansing 31-28.
- Oregon Football Lands In Redbox Bowl
- Oregon Wins Scoring-Starved Redbox Bowl
- Oregon Football Inks Top-5 Recruiting Class
- SOU Football Uses Family-First Pitch to Land Talented 2018 Local Class
- Division-II Western Oregon Rounds Up Top Southern Oregon Football Players
- Oregon will Take on (25) Boise State in Las Vegas Bowl
- In Cristobal's Debut, Oregon Falls to (25) Boise State 38-28 in Las Vegas Bowl
- SOU Lands Cascade Christian Star WR Ben Dunn
- SOU Football 2018 Preview: Offense
- SOU Football 2018 Preview: Defense