MEDFORD, Ore. — At Superior Athletic Club in Medford, the Oxygen and Iron class pushes the participants to the limits.
Angela brown is one of the participants in the class, and she knows that more than five years ago, taking this class might not have been possible.
“I just got into a rut of eating unhealthy foods, stress eating being very sedentary and I keep putting on weight,” Brown said.
Back in 2013 Angela she weighed 310 pounds and had to take a life flight to Portland when doctors told her that she had a brain aneurysm after complaining of headaches.
“It was the scariest moment of my life. What made it worse was they had to be super careful . . . one person was allowed to go with me on the plane because I was so heavy,” Brown said.
Angela spent 5 days at Providence St. Vincent and doctors decided to do a coil embolization to treat the aneurysm.
“So they very similar to bypasses so they thread the coils up and they filled the aneurysm up with coils and I walked out of the hospital the next day fixed,” Brown said.
The coil embolization came with nights filled with anxiety and doubt which only added on the pounds. But two years later, weighing 340 pounds, Angela decided to make a change.
“So I made a decision that I was going to do whatever it took to change my life and for that started with a weight loss surgery gastric bypass,” Brown said.
4 months later Angela’s change was being brought to life. Now weighing 300 pounds she was looking for direction to continue her fitness journey.
She ending up meeting Angela Patron who teaches the Oxygen and Iron class.
"We took baby steps,” Angela Patron said.
Now at present-day, Angela is down 150 pounds. You could say that she is a whole new person — and her new journey has just begun.
"The thing that people need to remember — I always make progress, I just don't give up,” Brown said.
- One local woman's journey through weight loss
- Shot at Fourth State Title Just Kyleigh Lopez's Next Step on Journey Toward Olympics
- Second Time's a Charm, SOU Avenges Loss to Marian
- (7) Oregon Avenges Friday Loss, Tops (18) Oregon State to Snap 14-Game Civil War Losing Streak
- Oregon State Baseball One Loss From Elimination After Falling to UNC 8-6
- No. 2 SOU Football Suffers First Regular Season Loss Since 2016
- November 30 Local High School Basketball Scores
- Previewing Tuesday's Local High School Basketball Slate
- Five Local Wrestlers Take Home State Championships
- Four Local Teams Punch Tickets to State, Four Local Teams Eliminated Friday