EAGLE POINT—EAGLE POINT—Eagle Point head football coach Seth Womack has decided to step down, he announced Wednesday.
Womack said the decision was motivated by a desire to spend more time with his family. He will, however, continue to serve as the school’s athletic director.
“My wife and I have kind of gotten to the point where we want to start doing a little bit more with our kids, and they’re getting to that age where they want to start doing more things,” Womack said. “A lot of those things I can’t do if I’m running practices and weight lifting sessions and things like that every single day. It was something that I can’t do right now and it wouldn’t be fair to the program if I’m not able to do all those things. My heart is just in other places.”
Womack, who has a five- and three-year-old, said all his son cares about is that he doesn’t go to Churchill.
In six seasons with the Eagles, Womack posted a 23-33 overall record. His team went 6-3 in 2018, but missed out on the playoffs after a 2-3 showing in the Midwestern League.
In southern Oregon, Womack was the only 5A head football coach who also served as athletic director.
“I think that had a lot to do with it,” he said in regards to the time commitment. “My seasons never end. As the athletic director, I go from football right into winter sports and spring sports and there’s no weekends off, there’s no time off, and I think that’s something I probably needed.”
“My wife asked me, she said, ‘What would you do if one of your players said they don’t want to give 100 percent.’ I said, ‘I’d probably tell them that football wasn’t the right thing for them,’ and she said, ‘Well there you go.’”
Womack said he does still want to coach, just not in a head coaching capacity.
He said he plans on keeping his options open and he could see himself as assistant coach sooner rather than later, but that would likely not be at Eagle Point.
In regards to his athletic director duties, he said at the minimum, he’ll be with Eagle Point until the end of the academic year.
- Eagle Point's Womack steps down as head football coach
- Eagle Point names Johnson new head football coach
- 2018 High School Football Preview: Eagle Point Eagles
- Edwards Eclipses 1,300 Career Points, Crater Thumps Eagle Point
- North Medford Names Steve Turner Head Football Coach
- Cleland Steps Down As Henley Baseball Coach
- Golf Tip of the Week: Eagle Point Golf Club
- Roundball Wrap: 2017-18 Eagle Point Boys Basketball Schedule
- Roundball Wrap: 2017-18 Eagle Point Girls Basketball Schedule
- Golf Tip of the Week: Eagle Point Golf Course