MEDFORD—The Cascade Christian Challengers are 3A state champions.
The football team followed in the footsteps of the volleyball team by defeating Santiam Christian in the title game. It’s the third state title for the football program.
Unlike much of the season for the Challengers, Saturday’s win didn’t come easily.
After going into halftime ahead 21-7, the Challengers had to weather a second half charge from Santiam Christian to hang on for a 28-21 win.
With the game tied at 21 apiece, quarterback Haiden Schaan led a six-minute, and ultimately game-winning, drive to put Cascade Christian back on top.
The Challengers defense would come away with interceptions on both of Santiam Christian’s final two drives—the latter of which was a pass that deflected off the helmet of Cristian FloresAlatorre and ricocheted to a diving Josiah Sills.
FloresAlatorre, Michael Toombs and Noah Stanfield were in the NewsWatch 12 studio to discuss the win and the legacy they’ve now left with the school.
- Cascade Christian Wins 3A State Championship
- Cascade Christian Reaches State Title Game, Seeks Repeat Championship
- Friday Night Blitz: Schaan's Legs Power Cascade Christian to 3A Semis
- Friday Night Blitz: Cascade Christian Prepares for Saturday's Semifinal
- Roundball Wrap: 2017-18 Cascade Christian Boys Basketball Schedule
- Roundball Wrap: 2017-18 Cascade Christian Girls Basketball Schedule
- SOU Lands Cascade Christian Star WR Ben Dunn
- Nate Mayben Hired as Cascade Christian Athletic Director
- 2018 High School Football Preview: Cascade Christian Challengers
- Cascade Christian Title Defense Continues After 57-8 Romp of Scio