OMAHA, Neb. -- Backs up against the wall, season on the line, the Oregon State baseball team dug deep and came from behind to blow out the Washington Huskies in the College World Series' first elimination game.
The Beavers, as they did in Game 1 against North Carolina, fell behind early to Washington, only to come storming back, tying the game on a Preston Jones two-run triple. After a passed ball gave the Beavers the lead, the Huskies quickly took the lead back, striking for two in the fifth.
With Oregon State down 5-4, the game entered a lightning delay, which lasted more than three hours. When play resumed, Tyler Malone drew a bases-loaded, two-out walk to tie the game at 5. Then, OSU put the Huskies away for good in the seventh.
Michael Gretler smacked a two-out double to left field to give the Beavers the lead and put runners on second and third for Kyle Nobach. In the biggest swing of the Beavers' season to this point, Nobach swatted an opposite-field, three-run homer, which gave Beavers a 9-5 lead. All four runs scored in the seventh inning with two outs.
They didn't stop there. They continued to pile on in the eighth inning, striking for five to make it a laugher, 14-5.
As a result of the long weather delay, the North Carolina-Mississippi State game has been pushed to Tuesday. The loser of that game will take on Oregon State with a trip to the national semifinals on the line.
- Beavers Erase 3-0 Deficit to Knock Out Washington, Stay Alive in CWS
- Oregon State Falls To Arkansas in CWS Game One
- College Gameday Preseason Special: Oregon State Beavers
- Ducks Crush Beavers in 122nd Civil War
- North Medford Upends South Medford 46-34 to Erase 18-Game Black & Blue Losing Streak
- Championship Homecoming: Pearce, Casey Attend Rogues Game in Celebration of CWS Title
- Beavers, Singler Look for Second Straight Win Over Oregon
- Beavers Hire Former QB Jonathan Smith as Next Head Coach
- Beavers Can't Close the Deal Against No. 20 Stanford, Fall in Closing Seconds
- Thompson the Hero as Beavers Beat Huskies at Double Overtime Buzzer