ASHLAND, Ore--- The hometown boys are staying in Ashland. Ashland wide receivers Nolan Rinefort and Gabe Ekwall officially signed with Southern Oregon, on National Signing Day.
Both of them signed at Ashland High School, with Southern Oregon head coach Charlie Hall in attendance.
Both Rinefort and Ekwall were coached by Charlie Hall when he coached at Ashland High School.
The combo of staying local and an already established relationship with Hall played into both of their decisions.
"It means a lot to me because it is good to stay local. If I ever need to see my parents or anything, it is a 10-minute drive. It is also nice to have a teammate that I know. It will help me just immerse better in the environment. And I will still get to know new people." said Rinefort.
"You know I was fortunate that I played varsity my freshmen year. So, I got to spend a fair amount of time with coach Hall. We developed a pretty good relationship over that time. So, going to play for him again, that is going to be a super fun thing to be able to do." said Ekwall.
The two receivers were part of a breakout season for Ashland. The Grizzlies went 9-2. Ashland only lost to Crater, which eventually played in the state championship game, and West Albany.
- Ashland football stars sign with Southern Oregon
- Southern Oregon Football 2020 schedule released
- 2018 High School Football Preview: Ashland Grizzlies
- Oregon Tech, Southern Oregon split rivalry doubleheader
- Amateur Athlete: Southern Oregon High School Skiers Back at Mt. Ashland
- Division-II Western Oregon Rounds Up Top Southern Oregon Football Players
- Former Ashland Star Nicky Weinberg Returns to Gridiron with SOU
- Oregon Tech Softball signs Oregon 6A ace
- Oregon Football cancels spring game
- Ashland football prepares for homecoming match up against Churchill