Story by: Josh McDermott, SOU Sports Information Office
ASHLAND – Southern Oregon University Director of Athletics Matt Sayre announced Tuesday that Biniam Afenegus has resigned from his post as the Raiders' head men's soccer coach.
Avneet Shergill, who joined Afenegus' staff as the top assistant prior to the 2017 season, will lead the team on an interim basis. SOU will conduct a nationwide search for the next head coach.
"Biniam is a man of integrity who brought in great young men who loved him as a coach and mentor," Sayre said. "The men's soccer team is established and strong because of him. We wish him and his family happiness and success in this transition."
Afenegus was named the head coach on Feb. 16, 2015 – just over a month after SOU announced the addition of the sport – and posted a 35-18-4 record over three seasons. In 2017 the Raiders won their first Cascade Conference regular-season title with an 11-1-1 mark and went on to capture the CCC tournament championship and make their first appearance in the NAIA National Tournament. Afenegus was subsequently voted the conference's coach of the year by his peers.
"I'm tremendously proud of what the men in the program have accomplished on and off the field the last three years," Afenegus said.
"The school has given us a lot of support and the opportunity to work here has been a privilege. It's not easy to leave such a special place, but I feel that it is a great opportunity for us to be closer to family. I want to thank SOU administration and staff for all their support and everything they have done for us, and I will always have fond memories of my time at SOU."
Shergill arrived at SOU after serving as an assistant in 2016-17 at University of the Pacific (Calif.), where he was part of the NSCAA Far West Region Coaching Staff of the Year and helped the Tigers advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. He competed collegiately at Marshall University (W.Va.) before playing for the Portland Timbers U23 team in 2009, then had a professional playing stint in India.
- Afenegus Resigns as SOU Men's Soccer Coach After Three Seasons
- Amateur Athlete: Entire SOU Men's Soccer Team Impresses in Year Three
- SOU Men's Soccer Tops UC Merced in OT Thriller to Advance to NAIA Round of 16
- SOU Men and Women Basketball Sweep Corban
- SOU Head Coach Charlie Hall Reflects on 2018 Season, 2019 Recruiting Class
- (11) SOU Men's Wrestling Dominates Simpson 41-3 in Final Regular Season Meet
- Coaches, Players Reflect on SOU Football's Spring Practices
- SOU Men, Women Basketball Secure Home Playoff Games
- Late-Inning Heroics Continue to Fuel SOU's Season
- SOU's Clark suffers broken leg, season in jeopardy