ASHLAND -- No. 14 Southern Oregon swept Northwest at home on Friday to move their conference record to 6-2 this season. Game 1 set the tone for the doubleheader as the Raiders exploded for 10 runs in the first of two games on the day.
Olivia Mackey led the way on offense, going 3-for-3 with 2 RBI. Overall, the key to the offensive output was two-out offense. The Raiders scored three runs in the first inning with two outs.
Other key contributors in Game 1 included Karlee Coughlin, who went 1-for-1 with 3 RBI and Rebecca Velasquez, who went 2-for-2 with an RBI and three runs.
Gabby Sandoval was as polished as normal on the mound, going the distance allowing just two runs. After scratching across two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, it resulted in the game ending due to run rule, the Raiders victorious 10-2.
Game 2 was less eventful as the Raiders chased a 1-0 deficit for most of the game until they rallied for five runs in the bottom of the fifth. Mackey got the rally started with a one-out double. Hannah Shimek tried to move Mackey over with a bunt, but an error put runners on the corners.
Lead-off hitter Kelsey Randall followed that up with a game-tying single, moving Shimek to third. Randall, the speed demon, stole second base. Each runner eventually scored, although just two of the Raiders' five runs were earned. The Raiders managed to get the last six outs without a problem, winning Game 2, 5-1 to give them a doubleheader sweep.
The two teams will match back up for another double dip Saturday. Game 1 is scheduled to start at 11 a.m. with Game 2 to follow at 1 p.m.
- (14) SOU Softball Sweeps Northwest in Friday Doubleheader
- (14) SOU Earns Four-Game Sweep of Northwest
- Randall's Heroics Help (3) SOU Softball to Saturday Sweep
- SOU wins NAIA Softball Championship
- SOU Men and Women Basketball Sweep Corban
- SOU Softball Repeats as CCC Tournament Champs
- SOU Softball Head Coach Jessica Pistole resigns
- SOU makes Mike Mayben new softball coach
- Amateur Athlete: Harlee Donovan Provides Emotional Heartbeat for SOU Softball
- Mayben Family Adds Third Member to SOU Softball Team