YREKA, Calif. —
UPDATE: The Yreka Police Department (YPD) has concluded that the death of a Hornbrook woman found wedged in a narrow space between two fences in Yreka did not involve any foul play, according to a statement from the department released on Thursday.
Authorities first received a report about the body in the 300-block of Lawrence Lane on September 24. When officers arrived, they found the body of a woman — later identified as 33-year-old Shelia Jean Martin of Hornbrook.
A family member had reported Martin missing on September 16, according to YPD.
During the course of the investigation into Martin's death, YPD obtained surveillance vdeo that showed Martin crawling into that narrow fenced area on September 11. The video did not reveal anyone else in the area until her body was found nearly two weeks later.
Between the investigation and the autopsy on Martin's body, YPD said they concluded that there was no foul play involved in Martin's death.
"Chief Dave Gamache and the Yreka Police Department send their deepest condolences to the family," said YPD.
(Updated 10/12/18 at 1:20 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: At approximately 7:15 Monday evening, Yreka police were notified that a body had been found behind a backyard fence, according to Yreka chief of Police Dave Gamache.
“It was a wood fence, with another fence behind it,” Gamache said.
Gamache estimated the distance between the two fences to be approximately a foot wide and described it as an area that would not likely be walked through.
The body is that of a woman and is somewhat decomposed; it’s now in the coroner’s possession. At this time Gamnache does not suspect foul play but will wait for the autopsy to completely rule out that possibility.
- Police: 'No Foul Play' in Case of Woman Found Dead Between Yreka Fences
- Police: No foul play suspected in case of woman found dead near Medford Taco Bell
- Yreka Man Dead After Crash with Woman Driving Stolen Vehicle
- Police Track Down Suspect in Yreka Stabbing Case
- Police: Body of missing Bay Area man found near Yreka
- Yreka Police Chief Announces His Retirement
- Sheriff: 'Foul Play Not Suspected' in Death Investigation
- MIssing Ashland Woman Found Dead
- UPDATE: Car Found Abandoned in Yreka Belonged to Decapitation Victim
- Bear cubs found in Yreka "taken illegally from their mother"