SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A woman’s car is a total loss after it burst into flames Sunday afternoon.
Officials said the early 90s Chevrolet Blazer burned to the ground on I-105 eastbound in Springfield, as the driver was heading home to show her son her new purchase.
The woman noticed the car was getting hot and pulled off to the side. She then exited the car.
No one was injured in the incident. Officials said the fire did not spread to other areas. Officials say the fire was caused by a gasoline fuel leak under the hood.
The fire was initially reported at 4:15 p.m.
Fire officials say several callers reported the incident, but the response was delayed by two to four minutes because the callers mistakenly said the vehicle was in the westbound lane, which added two to four minutes to response times.
Traffic was reduced to one lane as crews worked to extinguish the flames.