GRANTS PASS, Ore. —
UPDATE: The Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS) has released the name of a woman found dying from a gunshot wound on Sunday.
27-year-old Rachel Shoemaker and her 8-year-old son both died in the incident. The name of Shoemaker's son will not be released out of respect for the family, GPDPS said in a statement.
GPDPS has confirmed that the male 911 caller was Shoemaker's boyfriend, and not the father of her son.
Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact Detective Heather Yerrick at 541-450-6260.
(Updated as of 11:40 a.m. on Monday, July 9)
INITIAL REPORT: At approximately 9:35 a.m. a man called 911 and said his girlfriend had shot herself. When patrol units arrived at the residence on Southeast K Street in Grants Pass they found two people suffering from gunshot wounds.
A 27-year-old female and her 8-year-old son were taken to Three Rivers Medical Center. The female died soon after arriving at TRMC. The boy was being prepared for transit to OHSU when he also passed away.
“Preliminary investigation points towards a murder-suicide, and from the evidence that we’ve collected so far believe that to be the case,” according to Lieutenant Todd Moran with the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
A neighbor told KDRV’s Alicia Ruben that she saw her male neighbor take the dog for a walk. After the man left, the neighbor heard what she thought were firecrackers.
“I thought it was like somebody shooting off leftover firecrackers. You don’t pay much attention to things like that. If this was the middle of December I might have paid more attention, but it’s just after the Fourth. I thought it was just leftover fireworks, and it’s not.," the neighbor said, adding, “I’ve never even heard them argue. They’re just a young couple with a little boy and a dog.”
Police are still investigating and are not providing names or relationships of the individuals at this time.
- UPDATE: Woman Identified After She and Child Die of Gunshot Wounds in Grants Pass
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash
- UPDATE: Victim in Grants Pass Homicide Identified, Investigation 'Ongoing'
- Information Needed: Grants Pass Woman Missing
- Grants Pass Woman Killed in Crash
- Authorities Identify Body Pulled from Water in Grants Pass
- Police Identify Man Killed in Grants Pass Explosion, Seeking Associate
- Oregon Senate Passes Wounded Warriors Bill
- Police Identify Man and Woman Found Dead in Grants Pass Motel 6
- Police: Grants Pass Man Arrested for Sex Abuse of Child