WHITE CITY, Ore. — A Eugene man lies in Rogue Regional Medical Center with critical injuries after reportedly being struck by two different vehicles while crossing Highway 62 near milepost 5.
Troopers with the Oregon State Police (OSP) and emergency crews responded to the area after receiving calls about a man being hit by a vehicle on Saturday just before midnight.
Investigators believe that 39-year-old Jason Ziegler of Medford was driving his 2004 Jeep Cherokee westbound on Highway 62 when he hit 39-year-old pedestrian Ignacio Hernandez of Eugene. Hernandez was apparently in the roadway when the collision occurred.
Ziegler stopped at the scene and called 911 to report the incident. Witnesses then say that a second vehicle struck Hernandez where he lay, but the driver did not stop.
OSP reports that Ziegler has been cooperating fully with the investigation, while Hernandez is being treated for critical injuries at the hospital in Medford.
Two westbound lanes were closed for about three hours during the course of the investigation.
Anyone with any information on the second vehicle that struck HERNANDEZ is asked to call the Oregon State Police Southern Command Center at 541-776-6111 and reference case number SP18-290557
- Witnesses Say Pedestrian Struck Twice by Vehicles, Critically Injured
- Woman Struck by Driver Thrown 15 Feet, Witnesses Say
- Police Identify Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Semi on I-5
- UPDATE: Hit-and-Run Driver Arrested After Pedestrians Struck in Downtown Portland
- Witness Describes Fiery Semi Crash
- One Hearing, Two Witnesses; Vastly Different Takeaways
- Self-Driving Uber Kills Pedestrian in Arizona
- Pedestrian Crossing Worries in Grants Pass
- Ashland Teen Recovering After Being Struck by Car
- Witness Says he Paid Rent to Warehouse Defendant