This article will be updated with alerts from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) or local agencies whenever conditions become impacted by weather.
MEDFORD, Ore. —
UPDATE: With snow flurries coming down near the E Diamond Lake Summit on Highway 138 in Klamath County, ODOT now requires chains on vehicles towing or over 10,000 GVW between mileposts 83 and 93.
While Lake of the Woods has seen some snow flurries, it so far has not been sticking to the roadway and ODOT is only requiring that drivers carry chains or traction tires.
Other passes have seen rain or isolated snow flurries, but no indication of heavy snow thus far.
(Updated 11/30/18 at 5 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: With the National Weather Service warning of an incoming winter storm and ODOT bracing for impact, some precautionary measures are already being issued — even though the storm itself is a few hours away yet.
At present, ODOT requires that drivers carry chains or traction tires while traversing the Siskiyou Summit (I-5 south of Ashland), Sexton Pass and Canyon Creek Pass (I-5 north of Grants Pass), Canyon Creek Pass, Hayes Hill Pass (Highway 199 south of Grants Pass), Lake of the Woods and Doak Mountain Summit (between Medford and Klamath Falls).
The majority of these passes are expected to see snow by Friday afternoon, so caution is advised for travelers. A WINTER STORM WARNING has been issued between 4 p.m. on Friday and 4 p.m. Saturday for much of southern Oregon and northern California above 2,500'. Accumulating snow and heavy snow will make for difficult to dangerous travel conditions.
Stay with NewsWatch 12 for the latest updates on traffic and road conditions, plus up-to-date forecasts from our StormWatch 12 meteorologists throughout today and into the weekend.
- Winter Storm Warning: Traffic & Road Conditions
- Transportation Officials Warn of Winter Driving Conditions
- Winter Storm Warning Issued for Siskiyou County
- Preparing For Winter Driving Conditions
- Winter Storm Warning for Jackson, Josephine, and Curry County
- Jackson County Roads Dept. Preps For Winter Storm
- Tips for Driving Through Winter Weather Conditions
- Winter Conditions Cause School Delays, Closures
- Dangerous Travel Conditions Expected Due to Storm
- ODOT Preparing For Winter Storm