MEDFORD, Ore. — While some Oregonians certainly love their bulldogs, the most popular dog breed in the state is actually the Labrador Retriever.
According to the American Kennel Club's annual list of most popular dog breeds, the Lab is the most popular purebred dog in Oregon for 2017. The same goes for the most popular dog in neighboring Washington.
Labs also remain the country’s most popular purebred dog for a 27th year, according to the rankings released Wednesday.
The AKC says the lab took over the top spot from the Cocker Spaniel in 1991, and has been No. 1 ever since.
German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, French Bulldogs, and Bulldogs rounded out the rest of the top five nationwide.
In other cities, however, the lab isn’t most popular. The French Bulldog is the favorite if Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, and West Palm Beach.
- What's the Most Popular Dog Breed in Oregon?
- The American Kennel Club announced two new dog breeds: the barbet and dogo Argentino
- Popular Summer Veggies
- Oregon Senate votes to circumvent Electoral College, adopt popular vote
- Sanofi recalls popular heartburn medication Zantac OTC
- FDA takes action against popular vaping brand
- Oregon search and rescue dog falls 30 feet, survives
- Starving Dog Left at Oregon Shelter Dies from Emaciation
- Discovery of Dog Saves Oregon Man from Sex-Crime Conviction