MEDFORD, Ore. -- Big changes are coming to The Village at the Medford Center.
Today construction workers were putting up the frame for the canopy that will hang over The Village. It will have a plexiglass cover, so it will keep the rain out and let the sunshine in.
Unforeseen problems in the soil delayed the canopy for almost three months.
"We had to re-engineer the foundation," says Allen Purdy of SB James Construction.
Construction crews are also taking apart the ground, brick by brick. The heavy machinery used to fix the foundation and construct business facades cracked the previous bricks. When finished, it will look similar to the ground outside of Baja Fresh.
"Just stunningly beautiful," says Purdy.
On the other end of The Village crews tore down the fountain. Purdy told NewsWatch12 a new, more elaborate water feature will be put in it's place.
To help advertise the newly renovated area, workers will build a 75 foot tall sign on top of Sears. This will make it easier for drivers to see The Village from the freeway.
"It's Medford's own Sears Tower," says Purdy.
The construction at The Village will be completed in the next three months. The tower will be up and running by the end of the summer.
- Upgrades Coming to Medford Center
- New Surgery Center Coming To Medford
- Medford School Shows Progress On Major Upgrades
- Hoover Elementary in Medford receives seismic upgrade
- Asante Upgraded to Level 2 Trauma Center
- Cracker Barrel Coming To Medford
- New Restaurants Coming To Medford
- Rogue Valley Health Fair Comes to Medford
- Jewish Center Hosts First Medford Menorah Lighting
- The Village Medford Center Welcomes New Businesses