LOS ANGELES (AP) - Tech entrepreneur Elon Musk is set to unveil an underground transportation tunnel that could move people faster than subways.
Musk plans to unveil the test tunnel Tuesday, as well as the autonomous cars that will carry people through it. He's also set to show off elevators he says will bring users' own cars from the surface to the tunnel.
Tuesday's reveal comes almost two years to the day since Musk announced on Twitter that "traffic is driving me nuts" and he was "going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging."
Since then, he's revealed a handful of photos and videos of the tunnel's progress. The tunnel, meant to be a "proof of concept," runs about 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) under Hawthorne, California, Musk's SpaceX headquarters.
- Underground Transportation Tunnel Proposed For Los Angeles
- Underground Tunnel Transit System Proposed For Las Vegas
- A sinkhole turned out to be an underground tunnel to a Florida bank
- Los Angeles Teachers Strike Ends
- Homeless camp fire sparked Los Angeles blaze
- Dispelling Myths about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- New Details Released Following Plane Crash Into Los Angeles Home
- Rural Metro Investigates House Fire on Tunnel Loop Rd.
- Shooting Suspect in Standoff with Police Inside a Los Angeles Trader Joe's
- Rapper Nipsey Hussle dead after a shooting near Los Angeles clothing store he was associated with