GROTON, Conn. (AP) — When the USS Oregon, a Navy’s newest attack submarine, is christened this weekend, it will be splashed with liquids from Oregon.
The Pentagon says the submarine will be christened Saturday at General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut.
Rep. Greg Walden, an Oregon Republican, said he will attend as keynote speaker.
He said the submarine will be christened with water from Crater Lake and wine from Oregon.
Oregon, a Virginia-class submarine, is the third U.S. Navy ship to honor the state.
Virginia-class submarines are built to conduct anti-submarine warfare; anti-surface ship warfare; strike warfare; special operation forces support; intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance; irregular warfare; and mine warfare missions. The Pentagon says they have stealth, endurance, mobility and firepower.
- USS Oregon, an attack sub, to be christened this weekend
- UPDATE: Oregon's Wildlife Safari Christens Baby Giraffe
- Restoring the USS Constitution
- Historic Holly Theatre Gets Celebrity Christening from Comedian Jim Belushi
- Sudan will pay $30 million to families of USS Cole attack victims, its leaders say
- Oregon State Police Investigate Naked Beach Attacker
- Authorities: Man Attacks Sikh at Oregon Store
- Oregon offers free fishing weekend August 17-18
- Wildlife Officials Warn of Cougar Attacks in Oregon
- Oregon state employees' email accounts blocked after attack