YREKA, Calif. — The vehicle of a woman found dead and headless in Washington has been recovered near Yreka, California. Jacob Gonzales, a person of interest in the woman’s death, is now wanted for the theft of her vehicle, as well as unlawful possession of a firearm.
A 1 million dollar warrant has been issued for Gonzales’ arrest. Authorities believe that he may be trying to reach Las Vegas.
The Island County Sheriff’s office began looking for a silver 1998 Honda Civic 2-door after they determined that Gonzales’ vehicle, a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero, was no longer in his possession. The Honda Civic belonged to victim Katherine Cunningham.
The Civic was found along I-5 near Yreka, California by California Highway Patrol. The vehicle has since been impounded and will be delivered back to Island County as evidence in the original case.
According to the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office, Cunningham’s vehicle was actually recovered and impounded well before the woman’s body was found in Island County on March 3. California law enforcement were contacted by the Island County Sheriff's Office later.
Gonzales is now wanted on felony charges (though still a person of interest in Cunningham’s murder) and is considered armed and dangerous.
The Island County Sheriff’s Office has requested anyone with information regarding the Gonzales’ whereabouts contact them immediately, but do not approach him.
Contact your local law enforcement agency and/or Detective Ed Wallace via the ICOM dispatch center at 360-679-9567 or email@example.com
CLICK HERE for our initial article on the case.
- UPDATE: Car Found Abandoned in Yreka Belonged to Decapitation Victim
- Suspect in Washington state woman's decapitation found dead in California
- Authorities Identify Suspect in Decapitation Murder
- Two car crash blocks lane on I-5 northbound near Yreka
- Bear cubs found in Yreka "taken illegally from their mother"
- Police: Body of missing Bay Area man found near Yreka
- UPDATE: Man Wanted In Connection With Yreka Murder Investigation Apprehended
- Body Found Belongs to Missing McCloud Man, Sheriff Confirms
- Yreka Restaurant Takes Stand Against Bullying
- Job Fair at New Casino in Yreka