GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Two injured teenage girls had to be pulled from the wreckage of their vehicles after a driver suspected of street racing slammed into them in an intersection, according to the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
Emergency crews were called to the intersection of NE 7th Street and NE E Street just before 8 p.m. on Thursday night. Callers reported a multiple vehicle crash.
One 17-year-old victim had to be "extricated from her vehicle by removing the roof" with possible serious injuries according to GPDPS. She was transported by AMR to Rogue Regional Medical Center.
A second 17-year-old victim was brought to Three Rivers Medical Center with "less serious injuries."
Investigators found that two drivers were street racing northbound on NE 7th Street. Coming up to a red light at the intersection with NE E Street, both drivers blew through the red light. One driver slipped through. The other driver—later identified as 21-year-old Troy Danial Head—slammed into two vehicles driven by the two 17-year-old girls.
The driver who avoided the crash continued speeding up NE 7th Street and was not located.
According to GPDPS, the crash caused significant damage to all three vehicles, and closed down the street for about three hours.
Head was arrested and lodged in the Josephine County Jail for Assault III and Reckless Driving.
Anyone with information about the incident can contact Detective Brown at 541-450-6260.
- Two Injured, Suspect Arrested in Grants Pass Street Racing Incident
- Grants Pass Man Hospitalized After Machete Incident
- UPDATE: Two Suspects Arrested in Grants Pass SWAT Standoff
- UPDATE: Police Arrest Suspects in Grants Pass Dutch Bros Robbery
- Suspect in Grants Pass Umpqua Bank Robbery Arrested
- Sheriff & School District Investigate Grants Pass School Bus 'Incident'
- 5 Arrested In Grants Pass Drug Bust
- Accused Sex Offender Arrested In Grants Pass
- Crash Between Van & Motorcycle in Grants Pass Injures One
- Caveman Repairs in Grants Pass