MEDFORD, Ore. -- The busiest travel day of the year is just around the corner. The Rogue Valley International Airport is giving travelers the chance to skip the long security lines. TSA Pre-Check enrollment is open until Saturday, the 18th at 5 p.m.
Bern Case, Airport Director, said travelers must go through a background check and fingerprinting to get the card.
"You go through a lot less of a hassle every time you go through screening for five years so if you travel very much it's very worth it," Case said.
People who sign up don't have to take their shoes or light jackets off during security and laptops and liquids can stay in their bags.
Case said bigger cities have the option to enroll all the time, but that's not the case for Medford.
"They've been here twice before. We may not see them again, but they said that last time. It's been a good market for them," Case said.
Teri Thomas said her and her husband live outside Ashland and made the trip to the airport Friday for the enrollment.
"I wouldn't have gone to Portland to do it so when I found out that they were doing it here locally I thought this is great, this is my chance," Thomas said.
The cost of enrollment is $85 and the card lasts for five years.
"It's an investment but you know with all the government fees everything is going up, I don't expect to get anything for free really," Thomas said.
Case said the best thing people can do is make an appointment, but they can walk in.
Case also said the airport's new parking lot is almost completely finished.
"It's not going to be done by Thanksgiving, but it’s going to be operational," Case said.
Drivers can park in the new lot and walk to the terminal, which Case said is just a short distance.
"With our size airport they think boy it’s a long walk, but this would all be short term at a big airport so it’s pretty close," Case said.
He said the new lot should help with the Thanksgiving travel surge.
“It gives us 500 additional spaces so I’m sure we’ll be able to handle the surge this year," Case said.
- Travelers Sign Up For TSA Pre-Check At Medford Airport
- TSA Pre-Check Enrollment Comes Back to Medford Airport
- TSA Pre-Check Enrollment Comes to Rogue Valley Airport
- TSA pre check enrollment coming back to Rogue Valley Airport
- Expect TSA delays at Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport
- Runway Closure at Medford Airport Leaves Travelers Stranded
- Medford airport predicts 'record breaking' summer travel season
- TSA says Passenger with Gun went Undetected in Atlanta Airport
- TSA: Thanksgiving air travel to be busiest ever
- TSA's social media highlight weird stuff in travelers' bags