GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Wednesday night around 7:30, the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS) dispatch received multiple 911 calls regarding a transient trying to start the Grover Electric & Plumbing building on ﬁre.
GPDPS Police and Fire/Rescue units expedited a response and located the suspect before the subject left the area. Chantel Jeanette Scott was detained at the scene. The ﬁre near the front doors was out on arrival.
Evidence at the scene indicated Scott was attempting to start the ﬁre using religious booklets to start the ﬁre. After witness statements were obtained and the scene processed, Scott was placed in custody and lodged at the Josephine County Jail on the listed charges.
37-year-old Chantel Jeanette Scott from Washington State is charged with:
Arson in the First Degree
Criminal Mischief in the Second Degree
Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree
Grants Pass Police say there was minimal damage to the building and no signiﬁcant interruptions in business to Grover Electric & Plumbing.
Anyone with further information regarding this matter is asked to call the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety at (541) 450-6260.
- Transient Accused of Attempting to Start Building Fire with Religious Booklets
- Police Looking for Transient Suspected of Starting Grass Fire
- Update: Bear Creek Greenway Fire Started At Transient Camp
- Police: Transients Started Greenway Fire While 'Smoking Meth'
- Transient Accused of Child Sex Abuse
- Fire Managers Start Controlled Burns
- Cause of Death, Identity Confirmed for Transient Man Found Dead in Grants Pass
- Fire Breaks Out at Medford Apartment Building
- Juvenile Sentenced For Starting Eagle Creek Fire
- Court Date Scheduled For Boy Accused of Starting Gorge Blaze