CENTRAL POINT, Ore. -- The Jackson County Sheriff's Office says a man is lodged in the Jackson County Jail on sexual abuse charges involving two children in incidents three years apart. Detectives believe there may be more victims who have yet to come forward.
Michael James Rardin, 36, is currently in jail on charges of sexual abuse in the first degree, attempted sexual abuse in the first degree, and private indecency. According to a news release from the Sheriff's Office, the investigation began with a report that Rardin sexually abused a 10-year-old girl in September 2017. Rardin is also accused of trying to abuse another girl in 2014.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office says they investigated approximately 150 cases of child sex abuse last year.
"It's incredibly rare for a child to make up an allegation of sexual abuse. So, it's very important for parents or whoever receives a disclosure to report that so we can get help for the child," says Sgt. Julie Denney from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
The Sheriff's Office says Rardin left the area during the investigation. A judge issued a warrant for Rardin's arrest on November 22, 2017, for charges related to both incidents. Rardin returned and was arrested at Jackson County Circuit Court on January 5, 2018.
The Sheriff's Office says Rardin is transient and is known to have stayed in several different homes in Jackson County, California, and Iowa in recent years.
Based on information from the investigation, the Sheriff's Office says detectives are concerned Rardin may have more victims. Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Steve Bohn at (541) 774-6168.
There will be a seminar on recognizing the signs of child sex abuse on January 25th at the Medford Public Library. It will be from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
For more information or to register, visit: http://cacjc.org/services/prevention or contact Leah Howell at: email@example.com 541-292-2408
- Transient Accused of Child Sex Abuse
- Surviving Child Abuse
- Medford man accused of sharing images of child sex abuse online
- Police: Grants Pass Man Arrested for Sex Abuse of Child
- Grants Pass Police charge man with child sex abuse
- Former Medford 'daycare' owner convicted of child sex abuse charges
- Josephine County Man Arrested, Accused of Sex Abuse
- Glide Man Accused of Sexually Abusing 'Child Known to Him'
- Grants Pass Man Accused of Abusing 4-Month-Old Child
- Transient Accused of Attempting to Start Building Fire with Religious Booklets