MEDFORD, Ore. -- Three local businesses ranked among the top five thousand small, private companies across the country.
The heads of Rising Sun and Rentec say they started their businesses in the area because they wanted to raise a family here. They also offered advice for people wanting to start their own business: find your passion.
"I think about jobs I've had and other careers that people get themselves into where they're like, 'I have to go to work again today,' and that just isn't a recipe for success," said Nathan Miller, president and founder of Rentec, who says he's lived in Josephine County almost his entire life.
Elizabeth Fujas is the owner and operator of Rising Sun Farms. She's lived in the area for about 35 years. She says her business came "from the heart," and says others should find work that makes them fill fulfilled.
"Look to see what makes [you] happy," Fujas said. "Every day they're going to be coming to work saying, 'I want to be happy. I want to feel like I'm doing something; helping the universe.'"
Josephine County signed a proclamation today saying it's joining SOREDI and other partners to help bring in, and retain businesses.
This comes as welcome news to both Fujas and Miller, as the partnership goal with SOREDI is to make Southern Oregon the "most 'business friendly' region on the West Coast."
Fujas says she's struggled finding and retaining her work force, and is looking for a sustainable water source. Miller says he wants Grants Pass to invest in its downtown region, like the alleyway beautification project.
"I think it's great for citizens to encourage the cities and counties to do what they can to make the area attractive," Miller says.
- Three Southern Oregon Businesses Rank Among Top 5,000 in Nation
- Southern Oregon Tops State in Gas Prices
- Future of the Nation Ranked as Top Stressor for Americans
- Oregon Ranked #2 In Top Places To Move
- Oregon graduation rate tops 80 percent, most southern Oregon districts topped that
- 2 Southern Oregon Businesses Receive Powerball Bonus Checks
- Small Change: Southern Oregon's Small Businesses Speak Out
- Small Business Saturday a success in the Southern Oregon community
- Southern Oregon Leads Nation In School Positive Reinforcement
- National Guard, FEMA on Standby for Southern Oregon Wildfires