NEWPORT, Ore. (AP) - The U.S. Coast Guard says it is investigating the capsizing of a Dungeness crab fishing boat in the stormy waters off the Oregon coast near Newport that killed three men.
The Coast Guard said Wednesday evening that the men had requested a Coast Guard escort across the Yaquina Bay Bar before the vessel capsized Tuesday night.
The Coast Guard says it sent a crew and a 52-foot (16-meter) boat to meet fishing boat for the escort and that it was nearby when the fishing boat capsized.
Updated on 1/10/19 at 3:47 a.m.
NEWPORT, Ore. — Three fisherman, including an Oregon native, are dead after their boat capsized in high seas off the Oregon coast, according to Oregon State Police (OSP).
The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) received a call for assistance just before 10 p.m. on Tuesday, according to OSP. After struggling in 12 to 15-foot waves, the fishing boat Mary B II reportedly capsized with three men aboard as it crossed the Yaquina Bay.
A Coast Guard helicopter initiated search and rescue operations, soon finding 48-year-old James Lacey of South Toms River, NJ in the water. Although Lacey was transported to Pacific Communities Hospital in Newport, OSP said that he was pronounced dead.
Around 12:30 a.m., crews from the Newport Fire Department found 50-year-old Joshua Porter of Toledo, Oregon in the surf near Nye Beach. He was also pronounced dead.
OSP said that the capsized Mary B II ultimately ran aground on the beach near the north side of Yaquina Bay North Jetty. Search teams found the boat's skipper — 50-year-old Stephen Biernacki of Barnegat Township, NJ — dead inside of the boat.
- UPDATE: U.S. Coast Guard Investigating The Capsizing Of Fishing Boat That Killed Three Near Newport
- Man Drowns After Boat Capsizes On Klamath Lake
- Coast Guard Helicopter Narrowly Avoids Drone Collision
- Coast Guard Helicopter Saves Stranded Surfer
- Oregon Man Accused Of Making Hoax Calls To Coast Guard
- Coast Guard Gives Green Light to LNG Pipeline Terminal
- Coast Guard Rescues Fisherman Injured Aboard Vessel Near Brookings
- Oregon Senator Leads Push to Pay Coast Guard During Shutdown
- Alaska Coast Guard Searching For Missing Medical Flight
- Coast Guard Rescues Man Stranded on Douglas County Hilltop