Photo Gallery 4 Images
MEDFORD, Ore. — Sawing logs isn't just for bearded lumberjacks — at the Sportsmen's & Outdoor Recreation Show, 'Timber' Tina Scheer and the Lumberjills aim to show off their professional chops.
Maine resident 57-year-old Tina Scheer is perhaps best known for her tenure on CBS' Survivor: Panama and Nat Geo's Ultimate Survival Alaska. But since then she's teamed up with some other tough and resourceful ladies to form the World Champion Lumberjills show, Chics with Axes.
“It’s a really fun show for all ages,” Scheer said. “We want people to come and be entertained. We’ll give them a little bit of history of how the sport of these activities started and also a lot of comedy. It’ll be an entertaining 30-minute show.”
Scheer is a native of Hayward, Wisconsin, home of the Lumberjack World Championships. She began log-rolling at age seven, handling a cross-cut saw at age 18 and a chainsaw just one year after that. Her family started the Scheer Lumberjack Show in the late 1970s.
“I was the token little sister for 15 years at that show,” she said. Scheer said that she had older brothers who competed in the Championships.
Since then, Scheer has become a contender in her own right. She frequently appears at the Great Maine Lumberjack show during the summers in Bar Harbor, and tours with the Lumberjills all around the country.
Chics with Axes showcases log rolling, axe throwing, cross-cut sawing with a woman on each end of the saw, underhand chopping that involves standing on a log and chopping into it between your feet, and "hot saw," which involves operating a customized, high-powered chain saw. The show is now in its 25th season.
World Champion Lumberjills Show Times
Friday – 1:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m.
Saturday – Noon, 3:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m.
Sunday – 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.
- They Came, They Saw: 'Timber' Tina and Lumberjills Roll into Town
- Representative Walden in Medford Praising Timber Tariffs
- Josephine County Racing To Reclaim Burnt Timber
- 15,000-Pound Piece Of Timber Added To Thalden Pavilion Project
- O&C Counties to Receive Nearly $1.4 million in Withheld Timber Payments
- 'The Art of Felling Timber' Training Brings Firefighters From Across the Nation
- Wolferman's Attempts Record-Breaking 800-Pound Cinnamon Roll
- ODF Tracks Lightning as Storm Rolls Through
- Car Rolls Into Canal, Injures Two Juveniles
- Oregon Century: The Town of Hilt