MEDFORD -- Preschool, it's the first step of education.
Kathleen Perze runs a day care/ preschool called Crazy Dayz. She says, "we teach them days of the week, we teach them the weather, and we go over our rules everyday."
According to Kathleen preschool is about learning and about socialization.
Perze says, "we teach them how to get along. I mean that's a big thing for kids ages 2-5."
The problem is Medford and the Medford School District don't have enough preschool opportunities. So some kids are getting that first step of education while others are not. Cynthia Wright from the Medford School Board says the district would like to fix the problem, but there isn't enough funding.
Wright says "We would really love to see expanded preschool opportunities, we would love to see a preschool in every elementary school."
This was just one of the topics up for discussion at tonight's listening session. There were also the topics of 6th graders joining the middle school and moving away from traditional high schooling to allow students to spend half their days learning online. The floor was open for parents to voice concerns and also their own ideas.
One woman voiced her concern about the moving of 6th grades. She said, "I think if we moved out 6th graders up which i'm not sure is the best thing to do, but if we did it would help the elementary schools."
Another woman voiced hers about diversity. She said, "The teachers are not equipped enough or not educated enough of handling the different diversities."
Tonight's listening session is the first of two. The second one is next Wednesday the 23rd at 6pm at Lone Pine Elementary School.
- The Medford School District Holds First Listening Session
- Listening Sessions for Parents about Medford School District Changes
- Ashland City Council Holds Public Listening Session
- Attorney General's Hate Crime Listening Session
- Medford School District Tackles Child Obesity
- Medford School District Pilots 'Sixth Grade Academy'
- Medford School District Approves Fifth School Resource Officer
- Medford School District Adds A Day Due To Earlier Snow
- Medford School District Installs New Doorbell Security Systems