UPDATE: According to Oregon State Police (OSP), the investigation of the two sex offenders began when Major Crimes detectives were tipped off to a married couple using false identities living near Bonanza. The tip source thought they may have been on the run due to sex-related crimes in Texas.
Detectives identified the couple as 43-year-old Shawn Cowan and 46-year-old Rachel Guttry of Beaumont, Texas. They both had arrest warrants from Texas for parole violations and failing to register as sex offenders.
Cowan and Guttry were living in a rural, wooded area outside of the town of Bonanza.
As previously reported, Cowan and Guttry were arrested on Tuesday, May 8. OSP deployed an aircraft to assist with surveillance of the densely wooded area, and OSP troopers were assisted by the U.S. Marshal Service and the Klamath County Sheriff's Office. Authorities were able to arrest the two without incident.
BONANZA, Ore. — One of Texas’ 10 most wanted sex offenders was arrested Tuesday in Bonanza. Oregon State Police arrested Shawn Monroe Cowan shortly before 4 p.m.
According to the Texas Department of Public Safety (TDPS), “In March 2011, while out on parole, Cowan was convicted in Walker County of Indecency with a Child – Sexual Contact after an incident involving a 9 year-old girl…On September 27, 2017, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office issued a warrant for Cowan’s’ arrest for Sex Offender Registration Violation.”
Arrested along with Cowan, 43, was Rachel Ann Guttry, also a registered sex offender from Texas.
In March of 2018, Cowan was believed to be in the area of Redding, California—where local authorities circulated his image in an attempt to track the man down. TDPS offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to his capture. Cowan was considered to be armed and dangerous at that time.
Both Cowan and Guttry are currently lodged at the Klamath County Jail.
This article will be updated when more information becomes available.
- UPDATE: Texas Most-Wanted Sex Offender Arrested in Klamath County
- UPDATE: Convicted Oregon Sex-Offender Arrested after California RV Chase
- Accused Sex Offender Arrested In Grants Pass
- Josephine County 'Sex Offender Sweep' Nets 27 Arrests
- Oregon Sex Offender Arrested on New Sex Abuse Charges
- UPDATE: 'High Risk' Sex Offender Back in Custody
- Klamath County car chase ends in arrest
- Law enforcement conducts 'sex offender sweep' in Curry County
- Klamath County Declares Drought Emergency
- Klamath County Air Stagnation Advisory