YREKA, Ore. -- The first day of school for many students in Siskiyou County. NewsWatch12 caught up with teachers in the Yreka Union School District to see how they're getting ready.
"I'm more ready than I should be, I'm so excited I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight," Krista Freeze, Evergreen Elementary kindergarten teacher, said.
This is Freeze's third year teaching kindergarten. This year she has 25 students.
"Every year is just so different and I'm excited to see who they are and what they look like and how they interact and what their background is," Freeze said.
Her favorite part: watching the kids grow throughout the year.
"By the time they leave they know how to read and write and spell and it's really, it's just a really cool process."
Now for mom and dad, especially kindergarten mom and dad, don't worry. Freeze describes the first day of kindergarten as bittersweet. A time she says parents are excited for, but also nervous for.
We all have first day of school memories, where mom and dad are left at the front door of the classroom crying as their kid runs off to play with their new classmates. The teachers at Evergreen want you to know: your babies are in good hands.
"It's a big responsibility leaving your child with somebody and I take that really seriously," Beth Sandahl said. She has been teaching for 21 years.
"I try to be really prepared like if armageddon happens tomorrow, I'm prepared, I have your phone number and I have your kid and I'm ready," Sandahl said.
Her focus for Wednesday: make sure all her first graders have a fun day.
"A lot of times by the afternoon they start to get nervous and that's what a lot of our prepping is for, to make sure they have a good time," she said.
Join us for NewsWatch12 this morning at 5 a.m. Wednesday. Ashley Taso will be live at Yreka High School to bring you live coverage of the first day of school.
- Teachers prepping for first day of school in Yreka Wednesday
- No charges filed in Yreka school threat
- First day of school for students in the Yreka Union School District
- Yreka Parents Arrested for Failing to Send Kids to School
- Student Hit by Special Education Van at Yreka High School
- Yreka Restaurant Takes Stand Against Bullying
- Job Fair at New Casino in Yreka
- Yreka Police Chief Announces His Retirement
- Yreka Man Arrested after Stabbing Man Multiple Times
- Over 800 apply for jobs at new casino in Yreka