MEDFORD, Ore. — A Talent man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his part in a cocaine trafficking ring, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Oregon announced on Friday.
A federal judge sentenced 31-year-old Jonathan Alan Ochoa to 120 months in federal prison and five years’ supervised release for "conspiring to distribute and possess with intent to distribute cocaine and possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime."
“Mr. Ochoa’s actions show a blatant disregard for the law and public safety. The lengthy prison sentences ordered in this case reflect the seriousness of mixing firearms and drug trafficking,” said Billy J. Williams, U.S. Attorney for the District of Oregon. “I thank the ATF agents involved in bringing Mr. Ochoa and Mr. Manzer to justice. Our communities are safer thanks to their efforts.”
Court documents reveal that Ochoa worked with worked with two other men to bring more than 500 grams of cocaine into Oregon from California to be sold and distributed. However, their efforts led to a meeting with an undercover agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), who they attempted to give cocaine in exchange for multiple guns.
"Mr. Ochoa compounded his drug dealing by accepting firearms in trade for illicit drugs,” said ATF Seattle Field Division Special Agent in Charge Darek Pleasants. “His willingness to engage in this lawless behavior undermines the safety and security of his community and contributes to other related criminal activities. His sentence is appropriate and serves to send a message to the community that actions like this will not be tolerated.”
During an attempt in August of 2017 to transport 1000 grams of cocaine from California into the Medford area, agents arrested Ochoa and his co-conspirators as they tried to bring guns and cash back to California.
Ochoa previously pleaded guilty to one count each of conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute cocaine and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime on October 29, 2018.
- Talent man sentenced to 10 years in prison for cocaine trafficking case
- Talent Man Pleads Guilty to Cocaine, Firearms Trafficking
- Man Gets Nearly Six Years in Prison for Sex Trafficking
- Joseph Sallman Sentenced To 10 Years In Prison
- Sex Offender Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison
- Grants Pass Man Gets Prison Time for Opioid Trafficking
- Man Sentenced to 6.5 Years in Jail for Sex Trafficking Into Oregon
- California Man Sentenced to 15 Years for Trafficking Drugs into Oregon
- Michael Cohen begins prison sentence
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Talent