TALENT, Ore. — After responding to a reported threat of school violence at Talent Middle School, police were able to track down and address two separate threats in both Talent and Phoenix. Students at Talent Middle School were able to aid investigators in both instances.
The first threat originated on February 23, and brought police to Talent Middle School on February 27, 2018, according to a statement from Talent Police. Students made school officials aware of the threat, and officials contacted the police. The threat itself mentioned a possible school shooting.
Phoenix Police were aiding in the investigation of this threat, when they were approached by a group of Talent Middle School students. The students made police aware of another, separate threat, this one originating in Phoenix. There were concerning posts on social media, indicating another possibility for a school shooting at Talent Middle School.
As Talent Police continued to investigate at Talent Middle School, Phoenix Police pursued the lead about a threat from Phoenix. Phoenix Police arrested a 13 year-old juvenile, whose name will not be released. The juvenile has been charged with Disorderly Conduct and has been transported to the Jackson County Juvenile Detention Center.
Neither threat was found to be credible, as no weapons were discovered. A Talent Police statement did not say whether anyone was taken into police custody for the threat that originated in Talent, just that there is "no longer a concern at the school regarding this incident."
The statement from Phoenix Police thanked students for their proactive efforts in identifying and notifying authorities of the two possible threats. They also asked parents to closely monitor their childrens' social media activity, in case anything alarming should show up.
- Talent Students Fight Back Against Threats of Violence
- Talent Hosts Major Recycling Event
- Investigation of School Violence Threats at Lincoln Savage Middle School
- Phoenix-Talent $69 Million Dollar Bond Issue
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Talent
- Talent Gateway Project Taking Steps Towards Completion
- Business Applies to Rebuild Talent Truck Stop
- Longtime Teleservices Business in Talent Shuts Doors
- Talent Police Chief to Retire, Replacement Pending
- Talent Truck Stop Planning Official Reopening