MEDFORD, Ore. – The Medford Police Department is looking for 25-year-old Ronald Ryan Brown after he managed to elude police in both Medford and Central Point late Monday night.
Lieutenant Mike Budreau with Medford Police tells NewsWatch 12 that the incident began Monday evening as a traffic stop.
"Last night just after 10 p.m. one of our officers spotted a rental vehicle on Highway 62, Crater Lake Highway, and recognized the driver as Mr. Brown," said Lt. Budreau.
Lt. Budreau says the officer did a warrant check and found out that Brown was a wanted man.
"They attempted a traffic stop near I-5," said Lt. Budreau.
That's when Brown got onto I-5 heading north towards Central Point. MPD called Central Point to warn them that Brown was heading their way.
Police say that when Brown got onto I-5, he started driving more than 100 miles per hour. Lt. Budreau says that the high speeds put a lot of people in danger.
"If someone were to crash into this vehicle it would be devastating — and we know who this suspect is, so we backed off." said Lt. Budreau.
Brown got off of I-5 and drove onto Nebula Way, a dead-end road by the Medford Air Tanker Base. Lt. Budreau says that this was a lucky turn of events for police.
"Now he is no longer a real threat to the public cause the vehicle is now stopped. The ideal case scenario," said Lt. Budreau.
Except Brown jumped a fence onto airport property and fled. Officers and a K9 tried to search for him, but couldn't find him.
"Now he has an additional charge on top of all the other charges he's currently facing. We could find him another day and we are not going to risk the public that much to catch this guy," said Lt. Budreau.
- Fraudulent Prescription Suspects Arrested After Eluding Police
- Suspect on the run after eluding police twice in one night
- Man Arrested After Eluding Police After Suspected Drug Deal
- Sheriff: Young Jacksonville Woman Arrested for 'Eluding, Menacing Deputy'
- Grants Pass mother accused of eluding police arrested in Las Vegas
- Police Arrest Suspect in Medford Hit-and-Run Crash
- Police Arrest Armed Suspect
- UPDATE: Brookings Police Arrest Suspect in Hit-and-Run that Injured One
- Suspect in Custody After Running from Car Filled with Drugs
- Detectives arrest shooting suspect, investigate hit-and-run