GRANTS PASS, Ore. — A suspect is in custody after reportedly punching, strangling and threatening to stab a woman while attempting to steal her cell phone on Sunday, according to the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
Police received a call regarding the assault around 5:20 p.m. and learned that a 27-year-old woman was being treated for injuries at Three Rivers Medical Center. She had bruising on her face, abrasions on her legs, redness and swelling on her back, and bruising and redness to her neck. Investigators would later piece together what happened to the victim — leading to a suspect's arrest.
The victim was reportedly on 6th Street near the intersection with K Street when a man wearing a black mask came up behind her. GPDPS says that the man punched the victim in the face "with a closed fist" before they both fell to the ground.
The two struggled on the ground, with the suspect attempting to wrest the victim's cell phone away from her. During the struggle, the suspect's mask reportedly came off — revealing someone that the victim said she knew.
Later identified as 28-year-old transient Daniel Karl Hall, the suspect reportedly picked the victim up several times, slamming her back to the ground. He then pressed his forearm against her throat, choking her.
The victim claimed that Hall produced a knife and threatened to stab her, then took her phone. In the victim's account, Hall would run down the sidewalk into a nearby alley, disappearing.
Officers later located Hall around 11:20 p.m. that night near the intersection of SW 5th and SW H Street, where they took him into custody.
Hall was then lodged in the Josephine County Jail on the following charges:
Unlawful Use of a Weapon
Possession of a Controlled Substance - Methamphetamine
- Suspect Arrested in Grants Pass for Punching, Strangling Woman
- Woman arrested in Grants Pass arson investigation
- Police: Suspect 'strangled, assaulted and menaced' woman with a knife
- UPDATE: Two Suspects Arrested in Grants Pass SWAT Standoff
- UPDATE: Police Arrest Suspects in Grants Pass Dutch Bros Robbery
- Suspect in Grants Pass Umpqua Bank Robbery Arrested
- Two Injured, Suspect Arrested in Grants Pass Street Racing Incident
- Police arrest suspect in Grants Pass BB gun 'criminal mischief'
- Police: Suspected heroin traffickers arrested in Grants Pass
- Police arrest suspect in Grants Pass church, dentist shootings