KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — A Klamath Falls man was angry and "seeking suicide by cop" prior to an officer-involved shooting that left him injured on Tuesday afternoon, according to the Klamath County District Attorney's office.
Officers from the Klamath Falls Police Department responded to a domestic disturbance call in the 300-block of Laguna Street around 4:30 p.m. According to the DA's office, witnesses told the officers that 34-year-old Robert Lee Faulkner had "left the residence angry and made reference to being armed with a handgun and seeking suicide by cop."
The responding officers began searching the property, finding Faulkner hidden in some brush, reportedly armed with a handgun.
"The initial officer that located Mr. Faulkner perceived him as an imminent threat and fired their service weapon, injuring Mr. Faulkner," the DA's office said.
Following the shooting, the officers rendered first aid to Faulkner and called for paramedics. Faulkner was taken to Sky Lakes Medical Center, where he soon went into surgery.
"Mr. Faulkner is expected to recover from his injuries," the DA's office said. "No law enforcement officers were physically harmed in this incident."
Oregon State Police now heads an investigation into the shooting, which is the normal protocol for officer-involved shootings. Once the investigation is complete, a grand jury will review the evidence presented by the District Attorney's office. The involved officers have been placed on paid leave.
"The Klamath Falls Police Department would like to thank the EMT’s and other law enforcement agencies for their swift response and assistance to the critical incident," the DA's office said. "Also, thank you to the community members for their patience and understanding during the scene investigation."
- 'Suicide by cop' suspect injured in Klamath Falls shooting, officers placed on leave
- Officer Involved Shooting in Klamath Falls
- Last suspect arrested after Klamath Falls drive-by shooting that injured one
- Suspect in custody after shooting kills two, injures one in Klamath Falls
- Stabbing Suspect in Custody near Klamath Falls
- UPDATE: Klamath Falls Man Accused of Drive-By Shooting, Injuring One
- Sheriff: Suspect Arrested in Previous Theft From Klamath Falls Cemetery
- Klamath Falls Officer Justified in Using Deadly Force
- Klamath Falls Police Officers Awarded for Saving Woman's Life
- Klamath Falls Police Investigate Shooting on Hwy 66