MEDFORD, Ore. — The upcoming Gubernatorial debate is all about young voters. It's also a non-partisan debate.
"I think its a really valiant and important effort," said Brian Josephson, a teenager from Medford.
Children first for Oregon organized the debate. All the questions are being asked by kids and young adults. One of the students picked to ask a question is Josephson.
"I sent the question in and later they reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in asking that question in person," said Josephson.
He can't tell us what his question is. "They've got that pretty under wraps," said Josephson.
But he could tell us what it is about:
"I view just having — having a lot of privilege in my life — I view that as kind of a way that I can amplify with those less fortunate than me . . . so my question was picked as a way to amplify those voices," said Josephson.
Children First for Oregon put together a 14-person leadership council to help. Medford business owner Bill Thorndike is part of the council.
"Children first for oregon is a state wide organization and they thought that again particularly the importance of our gubernatorial debate that really it would be great for kids to have a chance to ask questions since it's going to be their future," said Thorndike.
To really focus on the young voter aspect, the debate will be held at Roosevelt High School in Portland.
"I think it's going to be a really great opportunity to see young people's views and opinions and voices answered," said Josephson.
- Student from Medford Asking Question at Gubernatorial Debate
- Teens Question Oregon Gubernatorial Candidates
- Local Youth to Lead First Oregon Gubernatorial Debate
- Gun Control Debate Held At Library in Medford
- Kids to Question Candidates in Oregon Governor's Race Debate
- Independent Gubernatorial Candidate Withdraws, Supports Gov. Brown
- Students Question Lack of Security Cameras
- Trial Begins Today In Debate Surrounding Citizenship Question On 2020 U.S. Census
- Wild Birds Unlimited: Medford
- Medford Rogues Baseball Club