GRANTS PASS, Ore. — A student firefighter's quick action may have saved the lives of two dogs after a fire that the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety says, ironically, may have been started by one of the dogs.
Kaci Carder, a student firefighter with Jacksonville Fire Department, was visiting a friend near the 1000-block of NE Hefley Street when she heard a smoke alarm going off.
"Kaci quickly found the location of the sound, a house filling with smoke," GPDPS said. "She furiously knocked and tried to make sure all was okay."
Carder found an open door and was able to rescue two dogs that were inside. She spotted the source of the fire — a range stove top — and turned it off while getting out of the house. Both she and the dogs were uninjured.
"In a bit of irony, the cause of the fire was most likely one of the dogs turning on the range while trying to get to a cake," GPDPS said. "The Grants Pass Fire Prevention Bureau urged to have a working smoke alarm. Working smoke alarms save lives!"