MEDFORD, Ore. -- Christmas is over but 2018 is right around the corner and many of are starting to make New Year’s Resolutions. One popular resolution tends to drop off just after the New Year begins. That's getting to the gym more often and living a healthier lifestyle. The Women's Fitness Company will be closed on New Year’s Day. Come January second, owner and fitness instructor Melissa Mormon knows she's going to see new members.
“The New Year is pretty crazy. Lots of women are back at the gym. The goals come into play, kids are back in school, and they’re just here to start the year out healthy. We hope they stay on that healthy goal but life gets in the way," Mormon said.
Mormon said those goals often don't stay around and the gym gets emptier.
"We all start off with great goals: weight loss, coming to the gym more, and working out, but then we tend to drop off after the first three weeks," she added.
Mormon said in many cases this is because people set unrealistic or high goals from the start, but, she added there's a simple and easy way to make sure you don't get discouraged.
"Small goals. Start with light weights. Walk a minute, run a minute or 30 seconds. Just small goals and going from there," she said.
Or maybe that first gym you tried out just isn't for you. One expert said starting those small goals at another gym can help you stick to them.
"Another great piece of advice is go to the gym and go to various locations at various times of the day when you'd actually be working out. It's going to be really crowded in January but just kind of see what those flows are like. Are you going to be able to get on that treadmill or are the weights that you're going to want to use available? Just get a sense of how crowded it is before you sign on the dotted line," said Better Business Bureau Northwest’s Marketplace Manager for Oregon Stephen Mayer.
- Sticking to New Year's Fitness Resolutions
- Diets Ranked For Your New Year's Resolution
- Local Gyms Prepare for New Year Resolution Rush
- The Odds of Completing your New Years Resolution
- For Sun Protection, Stick to What Works
- Democrats Prepare Resolution Against Trump's Declaration
- President Trump issues veto threat over border resolution
- Lawmakers pass resolution honoring fallen Ashland Police Officer Malcus Williams
- What Fitness Level Says About Dementia Risk
- Fitness Center Moves Outdoor Workouts Indoors