ROSEBURG, Ore. --A Roseburg man is in the Douglas County Jail after a two-week stand-off with law enforcement. It ended peacefully. last night.
The stand-off started on Monday, March 4, 2019, when the Douglas County Circuit Court issued a court order which mandated 42 year-old Stephen Adam Cain turn over custody of his 3-year-old daughter to law enforcement. They say Cain refused to allow the order to be served or to comply with the court order, barricading himself inside his home in the 100 block of Willamina Court in Roseburg and holding his daughter captive. Since then, negotiators attempted to work with Cain to submit and turn the child over to authorities per the court order. During the course of a two-week period, negotiators continued speaking with Cain to reach a peaceful resolution.
Officers say Cain made statements and threats against law enforcement should they attempt to force entry into the home to enforce the order, but at no point did law enforcement deem Cain to be an imminent threat to citizens or neighbors.
On March 18 at approximately 5:00 pm, Cain agreed to comply with a plan to surrender and release his daughter. Cain was taken into custody by law enforcement without incident.
Cain was lodged at the Douglas County Jail on the following charges:
• Felony Arrest Warrant - Custodial Interference
• Obstructing Governmental or Judicial Administration
The Sheriff’s Office was assisted by the Roseburg Police Department, Oregon State Police, Douglas Interagency Narcotics Team, Douglas County District Attorney's Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Stand-off in Roseburg is over after 2 weeks
- Roseburg Residential Fire
- DeFazio: Retaliation Still Happening at Roseburg VA
- Yreka Restaurant Takes Stand Against Bullying
- Stand Up To Bullying: 30 Minute Special
- Accused Medford Coffee Stand Bandit Found Guilty
- Roseburg Teenager Pleads Not Guilty in Family Slaying
- Charges Dropped Against Roseburg Mother in Child's Hot Car Death
- Roseburg Woman Accused of Texting 911 About 'Mass Murder'
- Transient accused of stealing gun from Roseburg High School