MEDFORD, Ore. -- Medford police arrested 52-year-old Terry Lee Day Friday. Police say Day is suspected of starting a structure fire in the 2500 block of Happy Valley Drive.
Officers and Medford Fire-Rescue responded to a report of a fire in a detached garage Thursday around 11:30 p.m.
The fire caused significant damage and spread to a wood fence. Firefighters were able to knock it down quickly before it spread to nearby houses.
Police say officers used a neighbor's security camera, which caught a suspect lighting the garage on fire. The suspect's description was limited due to darkness and partially blocked views.
Detectives went back to the address Friday and found more evidence of arson on the property. The investigation led them to an occupied steel shed on the property. The person inside threatened officers with a firearm and would not come out. SWAT personnel, members of our Crisis Negotiation Team and an employee from Jackson County Mental Health responded to the scene. Personnel were able to establish communication with the individual, who was identified as Terry Day. Day had outstanding warrants for his arrest. Detectives obtained a search warrant to enter the shed.
Negotiators were unable to convince the suspect to exit the shed, which was heavily fortified. SWAT officers used a breaching charge to get the door partially open. SWAT officers deployed gas inside the shed which did not get the suspect to exit. Officers saw Day light a fire inside the shed, and personnel were able to extinguish the fire with fire extinguishers provided by Medford Fire-Rescue, who were on scene. Eventually, officers entered the shed and arrested the male. No firearms were found. The entire stand-off lasted about 4 1/2 hours.
Detectives were able to link Day to the arson case the previous evening. Day was transported to jail and lodged on numerous charges:
Criminal Mischief 1
Warrants: Assault 4, Harssment, UEMV, Interfering with Making a Police Report
- Stand-off Leads to Arrest of Arson Suspect
- Police: Suspect Arrested after Attempted Murder, Medford Stand-Off
- Woman arrested in Grants Pass arson investigation
- Sheriff: Suspect Attempted Arson by Firing Flare Gun
- Suspected arson attack on Kyoto animation studio leaves 33 dead
- Police: Arson suspected in two structure fires near Selma
- Woman Arrested in Connection With String of Cave Junction Arsons
- Domino's 'Dumpster Fire' in Grants Pass Prompts Arson Arrest
- Siskiyou County Man Arrested on Arson and Attempted Murder Charges
- Arson investigation ends in arrest of Hornbrook man