UPDATE: A grass fire in the Applegate Valley is close to being contained, according to fire crews on the scene. The fire was last described as covering 11 acres.
Crews were able to create a hasty fire line and save a nearby home at the bottom of a hill, where the flames began. Most of the fire's spread was up that hill—driven by wind and burning quickly through dry grasses until the flames reached into the treeline.
By Friday evening, fire crews were mopping up, with most of the flames knocked down. According to ODF, they had established a complete perimeter around the fire and just needed to close in on the remaining hot spots.
Homeowners near the scene believed that the fire started by a spark from their lawnmower—ironically, as they mowed down tall grasses to lower the risk of wildfire. Fire officials said that it was a fluke, and the homeowners did not do anything wrong.
Applegate Valley Fire District and ODF were still on the scene and had one lane of Thompson Creek Road shut down in the area at 4 p.m. on Friday evening.
(Updated as of 4:15 p.m. on Friday, June 15)
APPLEGATE VALLEY, Ore. — Fire engines from the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) and partner agencies fought a spreading grass fire near the 1200 block of Thompson Creek road on Friday.
At last report from ODF, the fire covered two acres and was spreading uphill, pushed "significantly" by wind.
"Nearby structures are threatened; however, firefighters are on scene working on both structure protection and halting the further spread of this fire," said ODF in a Facebook post.
Additional resources were requested to help contain the fire, said ODF.
Officials urged the public to be cautious due to increased fire traffic on Highway 238 and Thompson Creek Road.
This is a developing story, and we will be updating the article as more details emerge.
- UPDATE: Fire Crews Contain Grass Fire in Applegate Valley
- UPDATE: Fire crews from multiple agencies respond to wildfire in Applegate Valley
- Applegate Valley Fire District Warns of Possible Smoke Alarm Scam
- Forestry Crews Knock Down Grass Fire Near Butte Falls
- Ornamental Grasses
- Grass Fire in Cave Junction Under Investigation
- Small Grass Fire Along Greenway Under Investigation
- Deputies Investigate Possible Shooting at Applegate Lake
- Out of Control Burn Pile Causes Grass Fire
- Police Looking for Transient Suspected of Starting Grass Fire