GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Southern Oregon Sanitation is halfway done building a new, $2.5 million recycling facility. The new recycling facility will let Southern Oregon Sanitation process process millions of pounds of recycling locally. Right now, they have to ship all of that to White City for processing.
Southern Oregon Sanitation and the Josephine County Solid Waste Agency are funding that new facility and the $1 million cost of new equipment. This investment will help the community and the environment, according to General Manager Trent Carpenter.
"Recycling facilities are important because we can take that material and turn it back into replacement stock material," said Carpenter. "That way, we don't have to dig more things up."
At the new facility, electric cranes will be able to pick up recycling and transfer it to a conveyer belt. There, it will be smushed into 2,000 pound bales. These bales will be shipped to Portland or California as part of the recycling process, said Carpenter.
The new recycling facility will also include an updated recycling center where you can drop of recyclable materials.
For more information about Southern Oregon Sanitation recycling rules click here.
How do U.S. recycling rates compare to the rest of the world?
The United States recycles about one third of its trash each year. We are in the top 25 countries who recycle the most.
Germany tops the list because they recycle more than 65 percent of their trash. Singapore comes next at 60 percent and Wales comes in third.
- Southern Oregon Sanitation halfway done with new recycling facility
- Southern Oregon Sanitation can help you recycle fall leaves
- Merlin Sidewalk Project Halfway Finished
- Non-Profit Opens First Hospice Care Facility in Southern Oregon
- Highway 62 Expressway Over Halfway Done
- East Pine Street Construction Reaches Halfway Point
- Oregon's Recycling Goal Is "Not Realistic"
- Oregon Not Expected to Meet Recycling Goal
- Man reunites with $23K found in recycling sorting facility
- Southern Oregon for Southern Oregon: Connecting customers to local businesses