GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Southern Oregon Sanitation runs a Yard Debris Program throughout the entire year. They usually empty carts filled with yard debris every other week. During the fall, they empty the carts weekly and can pick up hundreds of thousands of pounds of leaves.
SOS uses bright green carts to pick up all types of yard debris. They said anything that grows can go inside the cart to be recycled, including your Halloween pumpkins. All of these plants will be taken to Southern Oregon Compost and turned into compost. The program keeps roads clean and protects the environment, according to Southern Oregon Sanitation General Manager Trent Carpenter.
"You don't want the storm drains to get clogged," said Carpenter. "That creates flooding when we have the rain we've been getting. Also, that organic material goes down into the rivers and that's not necessarily great for the fish."
The Yard Debris Program is already an included service for people living in Southern Grants Pass. People who live in Gold Hill, Eagle Point or Shady Cover can also sign up for SOS's Yard Debris Program. It will cost less than $10 a month.
About 4,500 people already use the Yard Debris Program. Many Grants Pass locals said that it makes their life during the fall a whole lot easier.
"It's definitely a good program," said Paul Noorda, a Grants Pass local who uses the program. "You can keep your yard clean and you don't have to take leaves to the dump or anything to get rid of them. It keeps everything nice and clean."
The Yard Debris Program even helps some people reduce the amount of trash they throw away. Some people even size down to a smaller trash can after enrolling in the program.
Southern Oregon Sanitation said you can recycle leaves at their facility, too. It will cost $5 per yard of leaves you bring in. These leaves will all be recycled at Southern Oregon Compost.
For more information about how to sign up for Southern Oregon Sanitation's Yard Debris Program click here.
- Southern Oregon Sanitation can help you recycle fall leaves
- Southern Oregon Sanitation halfway done with new recycling facility
- Oregon's Recycling Goal Is "Not Realistic"
- Oregon Not Expected to Meet Recycling Goal
- Southern Oregon falls to 0-4, Hutchinson carted off the field
- Southern Oregon for Southern Oregon: Connecting customers to local businesses
- Prescribed burns in Southern Oregon
- Ashland Recycling Regulations
- Resdents at K-Falls Town Hall Support Continued Recycling
- Southern Oregon Fire Crews Aid Southern California in Wildfire Fight