ASHLAND, Ore.,-Today, 159 solar panels are being installed on the roof of the universities library.
After careful consideration of multiple buildings, the team of students and a staff adviser deemed the library roof to be the best place.
The money for this came from the universities 'Green Fund.'
Students got to vote to decide what the money from the green fund would be spent on.
Lindsay Swanson is one of those students who worked on the project since she was a Sophomore. She is a senior now and studies environmental science and mathematics.
She told NewsWatch 12 she is excited to finally see the solar panels being installs after all the work and planning she's put into it.
"We've been going through this process for the last few years to figure out what the model would be, home much money the students would be charged for the solar, how the contracting works and where the money go...all these different things. There were a whole bunch of different hurdles to overcome and and lot of student support had to be generated before the project could actaully start," says Swanson.
The staff adviser for the project, Roxanne Beigel-Coryell, says that solar panels are a great option for Ashland because they are renewable, clean, and a local way to source energy.
Those solar panels are expected to be operational by tonight, and fully functional by the end of the week.
- Solar Panels Installed at Southern Oregon University
- New Solar Panels at Southern Oregon University
- Freshmen Move In to Southern Oregon University
- Ruch Community School & Cantrall Buckley Park to Receive Solar Installations
- Trump Administration Imposes Tariffs on Solar Panels, Washing Machines
- Builders Grapple With New California Solar Panel Requirements
- Ashland Man Goes Solar
- Southern Oregon Fire Crews Aid Southern California in Wildfire Fight
- Oscar Nominations Connect Hollywood to Southern Oregon
- Thousands Seek Flu Treatment In Southern Oregon