PROSPECT, Ore. — After looking through the night for a downed plane that took off from the Prospect airport, the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) has confirmed that rescue teams found the pilot alive.
A call came in to emergency dispatch on Monday night around 6 p.m. for a lost or overdue pilot who had taken off in a small "experimental" plane from the Prospect State Airport just south and east of the town.
Search and rescue teams from Jackson County were joined by teams from multiple surrounding areas — including a team from Siskiyou County, according to JCSO Deputy Strohmeyer.
"Weather hampered the ability for searching by air until the late morning, however ground crews remained on scene throughout," JCSO said.
Around 10 a.m. on Tuesday morning, search teams from Brim Aviation found the crash site about 2.5 miles away from the airport — with the pilot injured, but still alive on the scene.
The pilot has now been identified as 34-year-old Steven Dawson Jr. of Central Point. He was the only one aboard the aircraft when it crashed.
Emergency personnel performed triage on the pilot for hypothermia and other "injuries related to the crash," JCSO said. The pilot was flown back to the Prospect airport from the crash site and then taken via Mercy Flights to a local hospital.
JCSO could not confirm the pilot's current condition. The cause of the crash has not yet been released and may remain under investigation.
This is a developing story, and NewsWatch 12 will update this article with more details as they emerge.
- Small 'Experimental' Plane Crashes Near Prospect, Pilot Survives
- Small Plane Crash in Montague Injures Three
- Small Plane Crashes on Columbia River Sandbar
- Prospect Airport Manager Describes Hectic Scene Looking for Missing Pilot
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. survives plane crash at small Tennessee airport, officials say
- Two injured in small plane crash near Sams Valley
- UPDATE: Small private plane crash in Medford neighborhood
- Deputies Seek Suspected Prospect Flasher
- Prospect man dies in single-vehicle crash, fire
- Experimental Alzheimer's Drug Stirs Hope After Early Trials