CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - It's almost showtime for SpaceX's big new rocket with a cherry-red sports car on top.
The Falcon Heavy rocket is poised to blast off Tuesday afternoon from Florida's Kennedy Space Center.
It's the long-awaited first test flight for the rocket. Once it soars, it will become the world's most powerful rocket in use today. The Heavy is equipped with three boosters and 27 engines designed to provide about 5 million pounds of thrust.
SpaceX chief Elon Musk has his Tesla Roadster on board. Musk - who also heads up the Tesla electric carmaker - says he wanted to add some dramatic flair. Usually there are things like steel or concrete slabs or mundane experiments on test flights. SpaceX is targeting a long, oval orbit around the sun for the car.
- Showtime for SpaceX's Big New Rocket With Sports Car on Top
- Preparing For "The Big One"
- Preventing Concussions During Fall Sports Season
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Changes Gun Policies
- Christmas Car Giveaway
- Preventing Hot Car Tragedies
- LA Motorist In Grave Condition After Car-To-Car Shooting
- Finland 100-Year Celebration (Part Two): Dressings & Toppings
- Southern Oregon Tops State in Gas Prices
- Cancer Patient Receives New Car