GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- Grants Pass Department of Public Safety say they have arrested a man involved in a shooting Friday night in Grants Pass.
The agency said that it arrested 68-year-old Steve Daniel Cox early Saturday morning. Police say that he has been accused of killing 37-year-old Joshua Wilson Wright.
Officers responded to the scene of a shooting that occurred in the area of SW 9th and SW H streets around 6 p.m. on Friday night. The responding officers found Wright dead at the scene.
Police said at the time that several people had been detained. They were brought to the police station for interviews.
"We do not believe there is any threat to the public," GPDPS posted on Friday. "Pine Street will be blocked for an undetermined amount of time. Please avoid the area."
Detectives, along with the Oregon State Police Crime Lab, were still actively working the crime scene on Saturday.
According to a probable cause statement filed by the arresting officer, the shooting started with an argument between Cox and Wright as the latter was "lawfully obtaining his personal belongings" from the house where he lived. Police later confirmed that the two men knew one another.
"Cox grabbed a shotgun from his residence, pointed the shotgun at Wright, and shot Wright in the chest," the statement from Officer Shaw reads.
Cox made no attempt to get Wright medical aid, the statement said, and told detectives that he shot Wright "with the intent to kill." Wright was dead by the time first responders could arrive.
Officers arrested Cox and lodged him in the Josephine County Jail on charges of Murder in the Second Degree and Unlawful Use of a Weapon. Police say the investigation is ongoing and additional charges may follow.
Cox was arraigned on Monday, appearing in court via a video feed from the jail. Judge Bain determined that Cox would be held without bail due to the murder charge. His next court date has been set for February 10 at 1:30 p.m.
- Grants Pass murder suspect told investigators he shot with 'intent to kill,' police say
- Police Investigating Driver Shot in Grants Pass
- Shots fired at multiple Grants Pass businesses
- OSP Investigating Fatal Crash in Grants Pass
- Woman arrested in Grants Pass arson investigation
- Grants Pass Detectives investigating armed robbery
- Police: Burglary investigation in California leads to Grants Pass arrests
- Police investigating cause of Grants Pass house fire
- Grants Pass Police investigating fire at Burger King
- UPDATE: Police Arrest Suspects in Grants Pass Dutch Bros Robbery