MONTAGUE, Calif. — A wanted felon encountered a pair of deputies in the Siskiyou County town of Montague on Thursday morning but managed to escape capture, according to a Sheriff's Office statement.
Deputy Joe Lensing was driving his patrol car by a Montague business when he saw a man who looked like 42-year-old "absconded parolee and wanted felon" Joshua Paul Lee. Lee used to live in Montague, but more recently resided in the city of Merced.
"The suspect was walking along a nearby street and later observed entering a nearby store," the Sheriff's Office said.
Deputy Lensing tried to stop Lee at gunpoint after finding him and a companion inside the store, but Lee ran off. Deputy Lensing soon lost sight of Lee around the corner of a building.
Several deputies were called in. They established a perimeter and conducted an extensive search for Lee. He was not located.
The Sheriff's Office believes he caught a ride and is not longer in the Montague downtown area.
Lee was last seen running north on 9th street.
He's wearing blue jeans, a long-sleeve baggy, blue plaid shirt, and he was wearing a black baseball hat. Lee is 5'8", weighs 170 lbs., has a shaved head, and blue eyes.
Lee has tattoos covering his neck, upper body, and legs.
Police believe he may be armed.
Lee is wanted for a parole violation. He's also a suspect in an incident that occurred a few days ago when a driver of a red compact vehicle attempted to evade arrest after being pursued by the California Highway Patrol in the North County area.
Police ask that you call 911 if you see him. You should not approach him.
- Sheriff's Office searching for wanted felon on the loose in Siskiyou County
- Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office Investigate Suspicious Death
- Siskiyou county sheriff's office removes illegal plants in marijuana raid
- Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office removes illegal plants in marijuana raid
- Sheriff's K9 Sniffs Drugs During Traffic Stop, Wanted Felon Arrested
- Sheriff's Office Searching for Man
- Siskiyou Sheriff's Office Needs Public's Help to Crack Cold Case
- Deputies Searching Siskiyou Co. Schools After Threat
- Sheriff: Gunshot Victim Found at Siskiyou County Hospital
- Sheriff: 'Shots Exchanged' in Siskiyou County, Two Arrested